Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Edge enhancement on The Dark Knight blu ray

Like many other fans, I have been waiting for TDK release on Blu Ray for a long time. I watched it last night and I had mixed feelings on the PQ. The upgrade in resolution over the Standard DVD is pretty obvious but wow, I have to agree with the edge enhancement criticisms. Check out the screen capture and notice the ringing and the overprocessed look. This was the look for a majority of the film. It's pretty disappointing for such a high profile, highly anticipated release. Once you get acclimated to superior quality transfers like "Live Free or Die Hard," "Kill Bill, " and "I Robot" issues like DNR & EE can be distracting.

However, I did enjoy the PQ of the seamlessly integrated IMAX footage where the aspect ratio changes from the 2.40:1 of 35mm film to 1.78:1 of IMAX. While 1.78:1 is not the true IMAX aspect ratio, the clarity is pretty impressive.

The Dolby True HD track also did not disappoint. The action sequence where the Tumbler "evolves" into the motorcycle Batpod is impressive demo material. I don't know if it's just me but I sometimes feel that Warner Dolby True HD tracks have the highs rolled off while Fox DTS-HD MA tracks sound more crisp. But I could be imagining things here.

This was my third viewing of The Dark Knight and I was still very much engrossed by the film that I did not really fixate on the PQ issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home