Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fallout 3



Lately I have been pretty immersed in Fallout 3. I have never been a fan of RPG type games but there are a number of standout elements of this game that sucked me in and have managed to keep me playing. First, the graphics are just flat out amazing. I love the bleak visuals and the attention to detail. The world is huge and because the visuals are so gorgeous, it makes exploration actually fun. There are some moments that are truly epic and you just want to stand there and soak in the landscape. I've always had a prejudice against RPG type games because I've always felt the exploration part required way too much time and going through the menu systems seemed like such a chore. While the exploration does take longer than a linear first person shooter, there is a good compass "GPS" device that works well and the menu system is actually fairly straightforward. The storyline is interesting and has that "choose your own adventure" piece in which the choices you make affect the future outcome of your character. What has been kind of overwhelming for me is when you gain experience points and you have the options to enhance specific skills of your character. I have a hard time knowing what I should choose so I often just guess. There probably is no right or wrong though. What really made me give this game a try is the fact that you can play Fallout 3 like a first person shooter. You can toggle between first person or third person view.

I would not be surprised if Fallout 3 reaches that "2008 Game of the Year" status. It really is one of those special games to experience if you're a PC gaming fan (or console fan). I wouldn't go as far to say that am I now an RPG convert but I am very glad I got into this game and that my perceptions around RPGs are now very different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home