Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Godfather Trilogy (Blu Ray) - Coppola Restoration

I take back what I said a long ago about technology just merely being a means to an end. Yes, the film itself is the most important component in the overall experience. But I have to admit that the technology piece is having more weight than before. For me, this new restoration coupled with the HD format takes the Godfather experience to the next level. Thankfully, there is no butchering of these films via DNR. The grain is there but it's not distracting. Viewers expecting a razor sharp image or rich color saturation will be disappointed. But from all sources I've come across, the subdued look has been the intent by Coppola. And that's fine by me. While I certainly love the razor sharp and highly saturated look of the newer big budget films, I've come to the realization that not all films are going to have those characteristics and that higher resolution does not necessarily equate to higher levels of sharpness. But that doesn't mean the picture can't/doesn't look amazing. On this set, there is a nice documentary disc that is in HD (and razor sharp btw) and gives a nice history of the restoration process. And you get a good perspective on how the picture and sound were before (VHS -> DVD) and just how challenging and painstaking it was to get to the current restored version.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home