Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Visiting long time friends

I typically prefer not to blog "diary" or "journal" type entries but I'll make an exception today (and whenever I feel like it again in the future). I made it a priority this week to hang out with some bay area friends that I have not seen in a long while. During the conversations, I was trying to remember when I last saw them, I just couldn't remember. So I want to blog it here to help me remember in the future.

Early part of the week, I had met up with Carolyn, JLT, Joel and the kids. I had a kind of weird/embarrassing incident before I went over to JLT and Joel's home. I was at a work offsite at City Beach and agreed to bring over some King Egg rolls (what I always bring to people's houses). The closest King Egg roll on the way was in Newark. As I came out of King Egg rolls, I was startled by a man who was standing close to me while I was about to get into my car. During the moment I thought he was making some unusual noises with his mouth and given his proximity, I made a dash for my car without hesitation. The man happened to be hispanic, noticed my dash and as I was in my car, he tried to speak to me through the car window and asked something along the lines of "do you think I am crazy?" in spanish. I was embarrassed because I didn't want him to think I was being racist or fearful of him because he was hispanic. But at the same time I was startled enough at the moment that embarrassment/awkwardness were ok if it meant that I had zero risk of being in harms way. The rest of the evening turned out a lot better at JLT and Joel's house. It was great to catch up. Naomi and Nolan are growing up so fast now. Naomi talks a lot more now and says some of the cutest, darndest things. Nolan is walking now. He even approached me on his own several times and gave me hugs and I thought to myself, "Hey, I could get use to this." I still feel a little shy and awkward around kids but maybe it will be different when we have our own.

The next evening Alice and I had dinner at Tsunami Sushi in MountainView. We also had a nice chat about a lot of things. Even though Alice and I don't see each other a whole lot, it's pretty much as if we just spoke the day before (which is a good thing). Our waitress was also very gracious - much more so than other restaurants. Being a skeptic, I thought to myself, "How can anyone be this kind? She can't be this nice to everyone." So as we walked out, I looked back and and I tried to observe the waitress while she was interacting & not interacting with other customers and she seemed to have the same genuine, gracious demeanor. I was impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home