Saturday, July 12, 2008

2nd try - adjusting greyscale on the Mits HC3000

Ok, I learned that despite the nice looking post greyscale adjusted CIE chart that I had on my 1st try, I had an issue of running out of red at 80 IRE. This can be visibly seen on the RGB graph from the previous post . STEP 6.12 from Kal's guide explains this phenomena in greater detail. The fix is to lower the contrast but the catch is that you lose light output. So a tradeoff has to be made - color accuracy vs light output. Now I use to hear about this tradeoff all the time but it wasn't until I actually saw the results that I better understood and appreciated what it really meant.

Some good guys over at AVS have been helping me out as well. Long story short, on my 2nd try I fixed my red contrast to 0 and adjusted the green and blue and I also set Brilliant Color to off per the recommendation of an ISF calibrator. My latest results are still not perfect but I am getting even closer now. My latest settings are now at,

1) Gamma: Cinema (this was pre-set. I did not change during calibration)
High: 0
Med: 0
Low: 0

2) Contrast: 0

3) Brightness: -1

4) Color Temp - Contrast (RGB HighEnd):
Red: 0
Green: -16
Blue: -20

5) Color Temp - Brightness (RGB LowEnd):
Red: 1
Green: 0
Blue: 0

6) Brilliant color: Off

I do appreciate the much improved color accuracy even at the expense of light output. I don't think I would have happy with the 1st try results long term. What I don't know is if I could get use to such a dim image. The dimmer image that results from calibration is exacerbated by the fact that bulbs dim over time with today's projectors. My lamp is in low mode and I could set it to high in increase brightness but I would be concerned with the added fan noise and greyscale could require calibration again. Still, I might experiment with it. Another option - much to the scorn of videophile purists/ISF calibrators is that I could turn Brilliant Color back on which does indeed improve the luminance. Brilliant Color might be the compromise.

After 2nd try - With green contrast down significantly versus before and with Brilliant Color set to off the image is dimmer. But on the plus side you can see more details on Tobey's face.

Before 2nd try - on the left side of Tobey's face, details are crushed.

2nd try - less pink on the veil folds but now there is a pinkish cast overall. It's been a challenge to get that perfect white. But you can see more details now in Charlize's face.

1st try - the veil folds were overly pink and Charlize's face is lacking fine details.

CIE Diagram after 2nd try. Everything within the circle this time and hence even closer to D65!

RGB levels after 2nd try - No more red drop off at 80IRE and DeltaE less than 3 which is even better than before.

Luminance after 2nd try. The problem is that after 60% or so, red starts dropping off relative to green and blue. I will try to set red contrast lower than 0 and readjust.

Gamma after 2nd try - average at 2.26 which is not bad


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home