Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obama

While watching Obama's victory speech last night, I thought to myself "Will Obama Girl be invited to the inaugural address?"

But seriously, I also thought about JFK's 1961 inauguration speech, the turbulent times back then, and the current tough times today. And although I was not even born yet, I wondered what it must have felt like for Americans at the time. And last night, you could see all that renewed hope in the faces of so many Obama supporters. Myself included. Yes, you can agree or disagree with Obama, JFK parallels - real or media hype? but if the "inspirational rhetoric"works as intended, then I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. It was refreshing to hear Obama come out straight in level setting expectations, "There will be setbacks and false starts .. government can't solve every problem but I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face.." Just thinking of Obama himself reminded of one of my favorite scenes from Oliver Stone's film "Nixon,"

Nixon: Do you miss Cuba, Manolo?
Manolo Sanchez: Yes, Mr. President.
Nixon: We let you down, didn't we? Your people.
Manolo Sanchez: That was Mr. Kennedy, sir.
Nixon: You don't think he was a hero?
Manolo Sanchez: [shrugs] He was a politician.
Nixon: Did you cry when he died?
Manolo Sanchez: Yes.
Nixon: Why?
Manolo Sanchez: I don't know. He made me... see the stars.
Nixon: [deep in thought] How did he do that?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home