Thursday, November 20, 2008

Company year end shutdown and travel restriction

My company just recently mandated a week long shutdown between X-mas and new years.

It's obvious that these are cost-cutting moves but this is the first time in my 8 years here that we've had a mandatory shutdown and what is also interesting to me is the relatively short notice. So this tells me,

1) Our executives are trying really hard to cut costs in order to save jobs.

or

2) Our executives are really unsure of how deep this recession is or how long this recession will last and we are really in a desperate situation before a broad-based layoff.

Company travel has also been heavily restricted. Because of the travel restriction, I won't be flying up to the bay area for a (long?) while. The ban on travel is not all bad. In fact, in many ways it's a good thing. More green and it forces us to "eat our own dog food." Not that we don't already as it is but it forces us to accelerate adoption of our "virtual" and "collaborative" technology even more so that we can later brag about the cost savings to our customers -> they then "oooo" and "aahhh" and in turn buy more of our gear resulting in our stock price soaring to unprecedented levels -> I can then retire early and the Mrs. and I ride off into the sunset. Umm...yah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home