Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Fixing the treadmill


Good as new! Sorta. Our loft is where I work out in front of the TV. The optimal location for exercise gear!

Apparently treadmill belts need to be lubed underneath every so often. I found that out the hard way when I slowly saw my belt coming apart at the seams during a workout. Oops. It's been about 5 or 6 years that I've had my treadmill. Problem free for the most part (initial lack of use -> expensive clothes hanger -> LOL) and I have not performed any maintenance on it. Luckily the manufacturer (Proform) carried a replacement belt. But ouch, the cost of the belt was almost 25% of the cost of the treadmill. My treadmill is not exactly top-of-the-line but it does it's job and I still follow my rule about working out a majority of the time when the TV is on. Since the motor is still running well, I decided it made the most sense to just get mugged on the replacement belt. Other than the price, the one complaint I have is that Proform seemingly sent me belt installation instructions for every damn model it fit except mine! Sigh. I ended up just replacing the belt on my own using some common sense but it was a friggin pain. Some of the side panels were stapled and it was hard to get a flat head in there to pry it out. Also you can't exactly put the staples back on as they are mangled when you pry them out (The instructions will tell you generically to "remove staples" ). So I have one side panel that is just resting there but loose . The rolling bars on both the front and back need to be perfectly parallel. Otherwise the belt will be misaligned and shift to one side. This was a major pain to align I tell you. I don't think my roller bars are perfect perfect but it works and I am not gonna mess with it anymore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home