Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Selling my Denon 2910 but keeping the others


I posted a classified today at Audiogon for my beloved Denon 2910! Since 1998, the Denon 2910 counts as my 3rd DVD player. With the quality upconversion the Denon was intended to be a stop gap for me until the HDM format war was over. But we all know how that turned out.

I tend to gravitate toward the mid-end DVD players which often get many of the goodies of their top-of-the-line brothers or the boutique manufacturers but at a much more reasonable price point. I still have my first DVD player, the Sony DVP-S7000 (technically it's my cousin's player - we swapped players because my version was an early enough version that you could mod to be region free). I have kept the Sony mainly for nostalgic reasons. I still remember being blown away when I first saw "The Fugitive" DVD on a 35" Sony "vertically flat" CRT TV. The picture quality was such a quantum leap over VHS and LD. Right then and there, the S7000 became an obsession. I also thought the rock solid disc tray hidden behind the electronic aluminum face plate was the coolest thing ever - it's still very cool to me even after all these years!

This weekend, I also thought about selling my Toshiba SD-9200 (my #2). This was a pretty good 480p progressive scan DVD player at the time but in fact it's probably a better CD/DVD-Audio player. I was listening to a few CDs over the weekend with the Toshiba and I forgot just how much fun and satisfying it is to listen to music on a home system. Hate to say it but so much detail and that "connection" to the music is lost when listening to it in a car or through headphones. Like my Sony, the Toshiba is an over-engineered-built-like-a-tank player ( they seriously don't make DVD players like this anymore!) but sadly it is not worth very much today in the used market. Maybe I had a better window of opportunity had I tried selling it in 2005. So I've decided that it's not worthwhile to sell it now. I might try out a few DVD Audio discs someday whenever I ever get around to upgrading to a surround processor with 5.1 analog in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home