Sunday, August 12, 2007

To the studio's top brass - your marketing dollars at work

Other than renting, I find myself steering clear of any "bare bones" version of a DVD. You know, the DVD featuring the movie only - with little or none of the special documentaries/bonus features. All it takes are the following key words on the box- "Special Edition," "Collector's Edition," "Extended Edition," "Director's Cut," or a mish mash variant of the aforementioned. Despite the $5-$15 premium over the "bare bones" flavor, whenever I see those key words "Special," "Collectors" etc. my eyes light up, my heart races, and I find myself handing over the credit card to the cashier.

The irony is that I will often only watch a portion of the documentaries. I won't finish all of them because after the movie is over
a) I am simply tired
b) the documentary is too much of an EPK (where everyone just pats each other on the back saying the same ol recycled "He/She was so great to work with. He/She was just so amazingly talented...blah blah blah blah" vs a genuinely interesting and insightful "film school-in-a-box" type documentary or perhaps a reflective account of the challenges during the filming (The Star Wars Trilogy DVD set is a great example of "film school-in-a-box" + great retrospective documentary).
c) the documentary is way too in depth and I lose interest after a while (ie the extras on Ultimate Matrix and Extended LOTR were overwhelming for me)
d) watching it the next day disrupts the "continuity" and 4 out of 5 times I'll end up wanting to watch another movie and not "bonus features."

You'd think by now I've learned my lesson and will only buy the most economical version of a DVD release. Nope. I still fall for it every time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home