Saturday, July 07, 2007

Perfect (geek) Day part 2 - Autobots, roll out!

Later in the evening Eric, Ivy, and I met up with Viks, Josh, Jim, and SMC to see Transformers. It's been a while since I've seen a movie with a group of friends. I was in agony the whole week because no one was really willing to see it with me on opening day. If it's a big release I am willing to wait 1+ hour on opening night. Sure it's a long wait and the crowd can be obnoxious but I think the opening night atmosphere is part of the experience.

I have fond memories of the cartoon series and the toys . I remember being envious of my cousins who had most of the G1 toys that were meticulously cared for and often in their original boxes. Some of my favorites were Optimus Prime (of course), Megatron (of course), Jetfire (clone of Macross VF-1 Valkyrie), the Constructicons, and the Predacons.

With regards to the movie itself, all I have to say is WOW. Believe the hype. Throughout the film I was reminded of just how much fun a summer blockbuster can be. I just don't understand all the hate towards Michael Bay. It almost feels like he is expected to be making films on the human condition or something. When I watch a MB film I quite satisfied to be able to turn off my brain and just enjoy the ride. And with regards to the authenticity, I personally didn't mind the liberties he took. The usual Michael Bay rants apply here -> somewhat weak storyline, thin dialog at times, weak character development, hyperkinetic editing. But all those minuses are redeemed by the fact that the film nevers takes itself too seriously and has argubly the best blend of live action & CGI ever committed on film. The attention to detail is simply astonishing! Maybe Spielberg, Bay and company felt that today's technology could finally do the live action CGI requirements justice. Transformers is definitely one of those movies that deserves repeat viewings to soak up all the mind boggling "transformations" and intricate action sequences. I think I read in Entertainment mag that the budget alone for the ILM CGI effects were in the 40 million range (don't quote me on that) out of a publicly released budget of 150 million.

This movie should be the killer app for HD DVD & Blu Ray and could very well be the definitive reference disc when it comes out. Man, it's gonna be a LONG 6 months for me until the HD DVD comes out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home