Monday, June 25, 2007

50 years from now -> "I told you so" ?


An Inconvenient Truth is an important film that everyone should see. Despite what the naysayers say, I don't believe the movie is a fraud, a political ploy, or a manipulation of the facts. From what I've read outside of the film, no one in the scientific community disputes the facts and predictions. And the facts are pretty grim. Even before watching this film, we've tried to minimize use of electricity & gas (admittedly, saving money was the primary motivator) and we've recycled everything from junk mail, empty soap boxes, packaging to plastics, aluminum, etc. I've recently seen segments on TV on solar power for homes. I remember the ones mentioned on the show were expensive but perhaps there are more cost effective solutions. Viks and I are now re-thinking about the next car we buy as well. Even if you don't buy into Kyoto, doing the above saves you money. Viks and I joked that perhaps where we live today will soon be beach front property.

The image above of the polar bears has saddened me the most and echo what we've seen on BBC's Planet Earth series. Due to global warming, Polar bears have to swim farther and farther out to get food. While they are good swimmers, they obviously cannot swim forever and many drown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home