Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Attempted Fraud!

My Visa card company called me this morning and notified me that some chump had recently tried to charge a large amount from an electronics e-tailer and a small amount from Fredericks of Hollywood. I did not make purchases from either (although for sh*ts & giggles maybe I should have said "Fredericks? *blush* uh... yah, that was my purchase.." ) Luckily I am not responsible for any charges and my credit card company is resolving the issue. I am pretty happy on how swiftly they addressed and corrected the situation.

What I am still stumped on is how the person managed to get my CC #. I don't make online purchases in public areas and when I do I always use "secure connections." The CC rep said that it was possible they might have tried a lot of numbers until they found one that worked. Being paranoid about fraud, I often check my balances online (almost daily) for this sort of thing.

Edit 6/14: I also minimize credit card statements sent to our home. And we shred EVERYTHING incluing our address info. Basically all sensitive info to the best of my knowledge/ability should not be floating around. So even with those measures someone still got the CC #. What a bummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home