Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Liszt's Sonata in B Minor - Martha Argerich


If I were forced to give up my entire music collection with the exception of one CD, this would be the CD I would keep. I often listen to this piece when I need solace or when I want to reflect. I have to admit that when I first listened to this Sonata I didn't "get it." I thought the work was "OK" and dismissed it for a while. For whatever reason I started listening again and I finally came around and "got it". This was truly music with a soul.

The Martha Argerich interpretation is the difference. The technical virtuosity, the restraint, the level of maturity..I still break down in tears everytime.

I am not a musicologist but from what I've read about this piece, I've learned that it has characteristics of sonata form as well as symphonic form. Seemingly discordant, motivic elements ("cells") introduced in the beginning are "thematically transformed" and carefully woven such that as the piece is progressing you can hear the changes and different forms of character like in a multi-movement work but in the background there is unity as in a single-movement sonata. The quiet ending is so serene and so satisfying, a closing of a circle without a conclusion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home