Saturday, February 24, 2007

Letters From Iwo Jima

It's a Clint Eastwood film so I knew going into "Letters..." that the film was not going to be anti-American or pro-Japanese. Therefore, I was more interested in how the film would deliver on this promise. There are scenes of brutality and evil as well as honor and courage shown from both sides. By being in a state of horror and desperation, the best and worst of humanity is brought out. Yes, "war is hell" but it almost seemed like Clint Eastwood knew that we already knew this. Then the anchor of this film lies more with the "Letters." From the letters, it's not so easy to call the "enemy" a "savage" anymore. And maybe we are all not as different as we are led to believe. With that said, I never felt manipulated nor did I feel that there was any forced sentimentaility throughout the entire film..a testimony to the wonderful screenplay by Iris Yamashita and the skillful direction of Clint Eastwood. The emotionally resonant soundtrack stays with you long after you walked out of the theater and I loved the desaturated look of the film. It really added to the authenticity and atmosphere.

Tomorrow is Oscar night. The buzz has "The Departed" as the favorite to win (sympathy Oscar for Scorcese?) Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I feel "Letters.." is the better film. Too bad "Letters..." is a limited release. It's definitely worth the drive to a theater that is showing it. I haven't seen "Flags of our Fathers" yet but I plan to rent it soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger baconandeggs said...

A lot of love went into the making of this film. I haven't been moved by a film this much in a long time.

1:42 PM, March 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home