Friday, June 05, 2009

Property Management experience so far

We are currently using a property management company to help rent out and manage our house when we move. The PM company also happens to be our HOA so my thinking was the property management piece and the HOA piece would work out better for myself and the tenant since both are under the same roof. I also chose this company since they are an AMO member per irem.org. But as of right now I think the certification has given me a false sense of reassurance. Annoyances thus far,

1) First tenant prospect wanted to move in end of May but our ad clearly stated "available end of June." The property manager did not bother to ask the prospective tenant his desired move in date so when he came to visit, we both looked at each other and said "Oh..."

2) Second tenant prospect who came to see the house did not see to be aware that our house is a 3bd+loft/2.5bath and she was looking for a 4 bedroom. Doh! When I asked the second tenant prospect if she was briefed by our PM on the home specs, she sounded very uncertain.

3) There was at least 1 -2 day lapse on the craigslist and backpage.com ads.

4) Today I receive an email from the PM asking me who our HOA is when I already informed her that her company was our HOA several weeks back!

Coming from a customer support environment years ago, I think I am a fairly tolerant and patient person but I have to admit that I feel a little bit of frustration that our PM is not on top of things.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Naples Rental Management said...

Beware of Property Management that:

Signing a binding long-term contract
*
Companies that do leasing only
*
Companies that only advertise on their website and the MLS
*
Management companies whose managers only work from 9-5
*
"Hidden fees", many companies do not openly advertise many hidden costs
*
Agents who do not do enough tenant screening
*
Companies with managers who manage too many properties
*
Companies who don't disclose exactly how they will market your property
*
Companies who use stock, out-dated leases
*
Companies who won't let you see their lease agreements or rental applications

6:59 PM, June 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home