Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rediscovering Sugar Tax

For some odd reason today, I just felt like dusting off OMD's Sugar Tax and giving it a spin. I remember having a Facebook conversation about the CD with an old friend not too long ago. I then remembered why this is my favorite OMD album. Yes, their singles album with Paul Humphreys is their most popular but I would argue that Andy McCluskey's solo effort with Sugar Tax is the most beautiful. Sugar Tax is one of early electronica CDs that convinced me that electronic music does not always equate to cold and sterile.

I think I just have a weakness for melancholy music. From the jilted lover in "Was It Something I Said?" to love not returned in "Then You Turn Away" to the heartbreaking, closing track, "All that Glitters" - I just love how the unusual title of this album makes perfect sense after you listen to the CD - that for the "sugar" of love, one pays dearly. Now, not every song requires a box of kleenex. Part of what has made Sugar Tax age so well for me is the variety. There are upbeat songs like like "Pandora's box" to the cover of Kraftkwerk's "Neon Lights." Such a wonderful album from start to finish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home