Thursday, April 17, 2008

Looking for high yield, low risk holdings

4500 layoffs at AT&T. Dollar plunge helps IBM, Google, Coca-cola earnings. Citi writeoffs. And yet there is a stock market rally? Despite the strong rallies here and there, the fundamentals don't seem there yet and stock market has been a little too volatile for my comfort level so in early March I pulled out of most of our holdings with the exception of some bond funds. The only gripe I have is the paltry YTD returns with current investments. For example our savings yield had dropped to 2.96% which is expected due to the Fed moves. The bond funds we still own are,

Vanguard Long-Term Treasury Fund Investor Shares (VUSTX) with a YTD return: 4.05% (fee-adjusted)

Vanguard Inflation-Protected Securities Fund Investor Shares (VIPSX) with a YTD return: 5.31% (fee-adjusted)

This is barely keeping up with inflation! But yah yah, I know very well of the inverse relationship between risk vs reward. In Nightly Business Report, I learned of investment products like Inverse Index Funds which short the indexes and of course there are Bear Funds but these are little too exotic for me. Some people seem to think gold is the way to go but while I understand the dollar is weak, gold seems to have pretty inconsistent performance in down markets. Sometimes boring but safe is the way to go. I recently looked at money market funds but they don't seem to have much better yields over savings yields. CDs are a -little- better but the added yield is not worth the lock in period to me. So the search continues.

I've been kicking myself for not unloading more of my company stock when it hit it's 52 week high. I've been wanting to better diversify but greed got the better of me. The only consolation this year was that I learned from my own mistake and had my mom sell her holdings at her 52 week high. So based on my experience, in the future I plan to sell on strength so that I can diversify into other investments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home