Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Drove a Prius

Last week Hertz gave me a Toyota Prius as a free rental "upgrade" because I guess the typical "Intermediate" class cars like the Chevy HHR were all rented out. This was the first time I've driven a hybrid. Things I liked/thought were interesting: The "Power ignition button," the "joystick-like shifter," the LCD display showing you a model diagram of when the battery or engine or when both battery + engine are being used/charged, how dead silent the car becomes when you are idle (you literally think the car has turned off but tap the gas and you're off to the races again!), the real gas savings: I drove 3 days to & from work, ran errands, lunches, and went from SJ -> SF -> SJ and gas was only $16 to fill up - I know I would have spent probably close to double that or maybe more on my Honda, and last but certainly not least the feeling of being more green. But I know it's easy to get jazzed up about the savings since I don't actually OWN the hybrid as from what I understand there are justified concerns about battery replacement costs down the road and I don't know how much maintenance costs are either. But from a rental point of view, the Prius is great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home