Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Got Ants? Think Terro

Ants in front of our porch. Work in progress!

Within 3 hours. I think Mikey likes it!!

Ants around our kitchen island. Within 1 hour of bait.

As I posted a while back we've had a major ant problem for the past few months. I have tried ant bait (I think dry, powdery form) and ant spray with limited success. Ant spray would kill the ants effectively on contact but the ants would keep coming back. We also weren't comfortable using a fumigator.

Recently a co-worker highly recommended a liquid ant bait from Terro. My co-worker has tried many other ant control solutions as well but claimed Terro worked well for him and was the best solution he's ever used. It was funny to hear the level of animosity in his voice toward the ants in his house -> "the little bastards.. they are drunk with the poisonous elixir." I was skeptical about the effectiveness but figured the methods used in our home were not really working and potentially dangerous to our health. Terro is a liquid bait with Borax that the ants attracted to but doesn't kill the ants right away and the ingredients are supposedly non toxic to humans but very toxic to ants. EXCELLENT. The Terro liquid bait allows the ants to feast and live long enough to bring back to the colony where you know what happens next.

You can get the pure liquid form and make your own little baits which is what I have been doing or you can get the "no mess" bait-in-a-container as well as the outdoor version.

After 3 days, our indoor problem has pretty much been resolved. I put liquid bait in our kitchen countertops and in one of our bathrooms. I did see one straggler in the kitchen on day 4 but I vacuumed him up and there haven't been any more since and I've left food in the sink and on the counter tops as a test. It would seem that we can finally eat in our kitchen worry free now.

I am still working on our outdoor problem. There are a LOT outside. It does take time - supposedly several days to two weeks depending on the size of the colony. I think I've turned more Dr. Evil by the day -> "Muhahahaaha!" I've been obsessed with checking on the progress of each of my outdoor traps at least 3 times per day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home