Friday, March 21, 2008

Jim + SMC's wedding - Yank Sing


"Bloggers" photo




Since many people commented that they could not hear my speech, here it is for those interested.

My name is Warren, and I have the great privilege of being both the best man and a good friend of the bride.

Three years ago Jim was actually my best man and standing right here where I am.

When I first found out that Sabrina said "yes" I was really excited for Jim. During his bachelor party last Sat, friends were asked to share an anecdote about Jimmy. I kept quiet for the most part since I didn't really want to give away too much of what I was going to share this evening.

Way back in the day, Jim was a first year in college and I was a second and we both lived on the same dormitory floor in Rieber Hall at UCLA. But I didn't really know Jimmy at the time. I was actually friends with his roomate Ed who was also a 2nd year.

Now if you lived in the dorms chances are the food you ate was not exacly what you would call fine dining. So I’d go over to Ed’s to see if he wanted to order from Thai Talay. But Ed was hardly ever there. Jim, for some odd reason was there a LOT - studying hard of course.. So I just started shooting the breeze with Jimmy . To my surprise Jimmy was a really easy guy to talk to - very laid back and very approachable.

We both moved out of the dorms and into the same apartment complex. Jim and I were pretty comfortable around each other at this point. We actually lived right across from each other and our apartments were so close that from one of the living room windows, you could see very, very clearly into the other person's living room window. And because of this, Jimmy and I would routinely have obscene finger gesture wars across the windows.

Soon enough, Jim became my go-to guy for many things:

- If I was hungry at dinner and didn't feel like cooking (or if I was tired of hamburger helper), the first thing I'd do was look across and see what Jim was cooking.

- If I was hungry AFTER dinner, I'd go over to Jim's apt to see if they had any ramen noodles or sometimes we'd go to Norm's for some late night STEAK AND EGGS.

- If I felt the need to procrastinate , I'd invite myself in and just pester Jim and his roomates.

- If I needed groceries, I'd call Jim and ask "Hey, when are you going to Ralph's next?"

All that time I was thinking and laughing inside. “Hmm .. I sure do bug him a lot. One of these days he’s gonna crack and tell me to bug off” But Jim never once snapped at me although he must have felt like it many times. This just speaks to some of his good qualities. He’s very patient, very generous, and always willing to go out his way for you. And what I admire the most is that Jim is consistently like this to his family and to all his friends. So it’s not hard to see why Sabrina agreed to go along for the ride.

So now would be a good time to share how Jimmy and Sabrina met. By this time we were all out of college and working. Sabrina (who I affectionately call Sabrina…Ming…Chou) - Sabrina and I had a mutual friend from high school and we both work at the same company. For the longest time, I'd have lunch with Jimmy and Sabrina separately. And at that time I was not intentionally trying to play matchmaker but in my mind I thought "hmm..you know, Jimmy has this happy aura around him, is down to earth, and laughs a lot” Sabrina Ming Chou – also has that happy aura around her, is down to earth, and laughs a lot.." -> I wonder..

So one day I tried to casually ask them both to lunch on the same day and I asked both of them if they minded that I was bringing a friend. I remember Sabrina being pretty laid back about it but Jimmy, on the other hand, was a little suspicious and asked "uh, why?" I tried playing it down and the three of us ended up eating at Tung Kee Noodle (of all places).

Now if you thought that there were sparks between the two. That would be a big NO. I’d have to save their intial meeting was a little more FIZZLE than sizzle.

After that lunch I remember Sabrina telling me "Hey. Your friend Jimmy . He's kinda quiet huh?" And I said to myself "Well, so much for that"

Fast forward a year or two to my wedding. Little did I know at the time that the Jimmy was hitting on Sabrina Ming Chou - at my wedding! Can you believe this guy? A few months after my wedding I get an interesting message from Jimmy to the effect of "hey. uh. i got something to tell you. you know your friend Sabrina Chou? I kind of like her"

It took some time but when you see the two of them now, you realize they’ve come a long way from that very first time they met. It’s clear how well they compliment each other . The way they balance each other, laugh together, how they affectionately look at each other, and even the way they argue with each other - it’s quite entertaining! I can safely say that today there's definitely more SIZZLE than fizzle.

Jimmy, Sabrina, I just want to say that I'm incredibly happy for you guys Sabrina, you got a great guy who’s who will go to great lengths to make you happy. Jim, without a doubt you found your match. Try not to screw this up? But seriously, I want to wish you guys all the best in the coming years and a long and happy life together.

Ladies and Gentlemen, please all join me in a toast.

To Jim and Sabrina ...Cheers!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home