Thursday, January 24, 2008

Networking the house

Our house came pre-wired and has data ports (+ POTS and coax cable) in each room. But up until recently we've only been able to use one data port at a time in the entire house. Why? Our broadband is on a fiber optic solution but with the inside wiring solution kind of incomplete. What I mean by this - we have fiber from the curb going into an Allied Telesyn fiber gateway ("U" shape device on floor) which acts as the router. Because a router itself only has a single LAN port, I am only able to plug a single cable from the router to one port at a time on our patch panel (top of picture). The patch panel is what is wired to each room in our house. And the patch panel port selected for use has primarily been the one that goes to our loft data port since that is where I work and also where Viks surfs online. Our PS3 is downstairs and I've been wanting to download more stuff but each time I downloaded content, I've had to bring the PS3 upstairs to the loft. Yes, the PS3 has built in Wi-Fi but I prefer using wired solutions. So with that said, I found a super cheap Netgear 5 port switch ($10! you can see it's on the carpet in front of router) to put in between the fiber gateway router and the patch panel. So now I can enable up to 4 data ports in the house. If I want to enable more ports in other rooms, I'll have to upgrade to a higher port density switch but 4 ports is more than enough for now. For $10, this solution has worked out extremely well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home