Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City (Blu Ray)

When I first read the rave reviews on the sound presentation of this Blu Ray I thought to myself, "Well I'm sure it's good, but it can't be THAT good." Well, hearing is believing. If you are even just a casual fan of Dave Matthews, you gotta experience this Blu Ray disc to understand what all the fuss is about. The video is very good - I'd give it a 4/5. But the sound takes the term "surround sound" to a whole new level. No question about it - 5/5. The Dolby True HD multichannel mix is surround sound nirvana! The sound mix is friggin' INCREDIBLE. It sounds so real with a sparkling clarity from the acoustic guitars that your speakers "disappear." You really do feel like your in the middle of it all and not simply watching a concert on DVD. This is also a great demo disc in comparing Dolby True HD vs legacy Dolby Digital . No placebo here. I toggled between the two tracks on the fly and the Dolby Digital track at 640kbps is obviously more anemic, thin sounding, and more veiled vs the Dolby True HD track.

"Stay or Leave," "Crush" and "Crash Into Me" are some of the more popular tracks but there are some really terrific gems here. I love the purity in these "unplugged" performances.

I could go on and on about the other goodies on this disc but I think I'd rather to go back and watch some more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home