Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Leadership woes

Lately at work I'm managing a project to revamp our Manufacturing Partner's technical training/certification program, test line yield metrics & audit process, as well as various sustaining processes. I've been working in a team of six to come up with and define the implementation strategy/plan using PMI best practices. While I enjoy the PM work, the biggest frustration so far has been the lack of input & initiave from half of the team. During conference calls, you ask for feedback or an opinion and you can only hear crickets in the background or the person is typing away and not even paying attention. Very sad. This experience so far had led me to self doubt while also wondering if it's something that they are not telling me... My attempt at a fair appraisal of the situation so far...

Them:
They didn't sign up for this project but were assigned by the mighty Powers above.
They are simply not interested.
They are swamped with other obligations (I doubt this one though cause I've observed these guys and know a few things).

Me:
I'm not a cheerleader.
I'm not one of those "high on life" motivational speakers.
I'm not a comedian (but half those guys are ESL and wouldn't get my jokes anyway).
I do not have an official "manager" title so I'm in a lesser position of authority.
My influencing skills are not up to par.

..Then I happen to remember that I am also a member of another concurrent project where that PM is just as "dry," not funny, and harder to understand..yet the whole team rallies behind him!

I don't have any answers yet but I hope to figure this out someday and benefit from the experience.

3 Comments:

Blogger melsybo said...

people tend to do work related things for the following reasons:

1) promise of personal benefit
2) they like the person they are working for
3) they know they owe a favor for the person who has asked

i recommend spinning the project so as they can see a clear personal benefit. they can be more visible if they provide the ideas, which leads to possibility of promotion and raise. xmas bonuses? if at the very least they get moving and get things done, it will be an end to the boring meetings they would rather not have anyways.

check out this interesting read on influencing people

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/166/13/1680

7:57 PM, November 30, 2005  
Blogger baconandeggs said...

thanks for the comments...

Re: 1), We actually did a preso articulating the benefits on how success of this project would mean less of the grudge work for the engineers.. I agree that $equity$ is always great incentive but the culture here is "show me the work first" before you ask for promo :-(

Re: 2), They probably don't like me. Or rather they resent the fact that previous to this project I was their equal peer but now am in a position of "higher authority." Argh, maybe I need to buy them lunch.

Good link..I was also recommended Cialdini's Influence: Science and Practice which I have not completely finished yet. I really am not a "pusher" but try really hard to "pull" people to do things and articulate the mutual benefits.

11:41 AM, December 01, 2005  
Blogger baconandeggs said...

tasks firmly assigned, roles clearly defined.. I adhere to PMI best practices to the letter :-) i agree this is good practice for leadership skills.. i see this as a game -> "how can I manipu.. *cough* influence these guys to do my bidding.." ;-)

12:38 AM, December 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home