Saturday, November 05, 2005

I can make spinach now baby

I am not a man who expects his wife to cook for him. On the contrary I should be the one to cook since I am at home all the time working while my wife has to get up much earlier to drive to work and is often on overnight call. Unfortunately, I simply have no interest in cooking. Just ask my college friends what I use to eat for dinner (and the number of times I would eat in their apt ;-) ). The truth is I have a fear of knives and I don't like the feeling of cutting into cold meats. Viks genuinely enjoys cooking much more than I do. But alas, we sometimes all need to do things that are not in our comfort zone. Since Viks has been really tired as of late but was craving vegetables, I volunteered to learn how to cook spinach (I think korean style). It turns out it's not so bad..In fact I am going to document what I learned here (before I forget tomorrow).

1) Use 1/2 bag of prewashed spinach (from Costco...I don't consider this cheating..it's fresh, prepared, clean for the most part and just so convenient!).
2) Rinse thoroughly with water in strainer
3) Place as much spinach in nonstick pan
4) Heat medium to medium-high (depends on your stove) and cover with lid for about 5 min
5) Mix in serving bowl: 3 tablespoons of soy sauce & 1 tablespoon of sugar. [Edit 11/8: Actually it's 2 tablespoons of soy sauce & 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and 1 teaspoon of sugar]
6) Check spinach after 5 min or so and when it's all shrunk & shriveled (amazing how much it shrinks), flip over like a pancake and cover for another 1-2 min.
7) Turn off heat and drain water spinach in strainer.
8) Mix in serving bowl with three teaspoons of sesame.

This post is not a "pat-myself-on-the-back" but I am happier that I can at least cooking something other than pasta and ramen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home