Tuesday, January 09, 2007

1600 calories - "You lack discipline!"

I find myself scheduling in advance what I'm going to watch on TV for the week and weekends. Believe it or not, TV programming dictates my workout schedule. This Sat I plan to be up before 10am to watch Tennessee at Ohio State to essentially yield a 6 mile treadmill workout + free weights. Sunday I can "sleep in" til 10:30am to catch Illinois at Michigan State for the same drill. Yes, I am well aware that it's 2007 and that there are magical devices called DVRs such that I shouldn't let programming times dictate when I watch/workout. But our only DVR is downstairs hooked up to our main display whereas I work out in front of the secondary display that is in our loft. On weekdays, my daily routine is to take a break from work at 5pm sharp and work out to BBC World news and Nightly Business Report on PBS. I'll typically get in 3 miles + free weights as well as keep up with current events + business news.

My objective in all this? To achieve 1600 average daily calorie intake for a week. Much to my dismay, when I weighed in at the end of Dec 2006 I had gained back the 7lbs I had lost in late July 2006. Root cause analysis: *Insert Arnold soundbyte: "You lack discipline!"* Inconsistent eating habits (especially when I go back up to the Bay Area..doh), inconsistent exercise and I stopped tracking my calorie intake in late July 2006. It may sound silly/extreme to some people but tracking my calorie intake on Excel was a really simple but powerful tool in managing my weight. If I knew my calorie intake for breakfast & lunch, it would greatly influence what I'd eat for dinner as well as exercise duration/intensity. So as of Dec 29th 2006, I started tracking in Excel again and I'm pleased to have averaged 1600 calories so far. One challenge is that when I eat out at restaurants I don't always know the calorie count. So to mitigate this, I'm thinking to save restuarants where I can't quantify what I'm eating for the "day off" (meaning: the day of the week where I am less strict). The above works for me with no diet fads, pills, or gimmicks. I proved it to myself last year from Jan 2006 to July 2006. Simple "Diet & exercise" (aka thermodynamics) but I also stress measurement cause the mind can play tricks on you ( " No f-ing way, I couldn't have eaten that much today! " ).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home