Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wonderful 2nd album



When I first picked up Hopes and Fears, I thought it was a decent album but nothing special. However, with each listen I became increasingly captivated with Tom Chaplin's vocals, the soaring melodies, and the "less is more" sound from Richard Hughes and Tim Rice-Oxley. I was really worried that Keane would go through the infamous sophomoric slump. I am so happy to be wrong. Under the Iron Sea has less of the "piano" sound from Hopes and Fears, supplanted with more of a "synth" sound and there is still the trademark lack of guitars. The lyrics are also more mature. Standout tracks for me are "Atlantic," "A Bad Dream," "Try Again," and "The Frog Prince." However, like the debut album, Under the Iron Sea is a CD that should be experienced from start to finish...where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home