Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Tortoise and the Hare

In many ways I can relate to the Turtoise.

On the treadmill I don't run but rather I walk briskly with the goal of covering a longer distance / burning more calories.

I invest in "boring" index funds with the goal of achieving higher net results over an extended period of time.

At a restaurant, I am often the last one in a group to decide what to eat from the menu but when I finally do choose something, it's exactly what I wanted.

The latest affirmation came this week and has to do with my career. I learned that I didn't get a program management postion that I applied for internally. The feedback was that my geography and level of cross functional experience were "concerns." When I applied I really thought that my remote work situation would be less of an issue since our company is pretty cutting edge in terms of virtual collaboration. We really "eat our own dog food." But in my group it is apparent that face to face is still very much preferred.

The other feedback was that I needed to better demonstrate my influencing skills. I wasn't sure if my 2nd level Mgr meant they were piss poor or that he just wanted to see more of it in action. I am hoping the latter. I am leading a project today that is outside of the scope of my day-to-day but I have not yet taken the project to completion. My 2nd level Mgr told me that he wanted me to finish it out to get more positive exposure. At the end of the conversation, my ego and self esteem were crushed. But in retrospect this is not the first time I've been turned down. It turns out that every position I've moved into has worked out well. I think back that if I had ended up in certain positions that I think I wanted at the time, I would have ended up in a less favorable situation today. Being careful of what you ask for right?

So the upside to all this is that in the end, we all know the turtoise wins. Not to say that I know I am going to "win" but right now I need to believe that to keep me going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home