Thursday, September 15, 2005

CEDIA EXPO 2005 (no I didn't go)

When it comes to consumer electronics it's typically viewed as a waiting game. The longer you wait, the more prices fall, and technology always gets better. But I also think timing matters w/ respect to your personal situation...finding that balance between enjoying now/near future vs never enjoying cause you're always waiting . Then there's also the questions that I always ask myself to minimize my own buyer's remorse and influences the timing of when and what I buy -> "If I buy this now, how long will it be before prices plunge?" and "If I hold out for just a bit longer, is there something just around the corner that offers a much better value?" The answers to these questions can often be inferred in consumer electronics shows like CEDIA. While I am a consumer electronics freak (mostly home theater), I don't really make it a point to go to electonics shows like CEDIA or CES for two main reasons: 1) Internet forums and media cover it pretty well 2) What one would see during those shows are often times not truly representative of what the final product will be . All rambling aside, if you've been wanting an HD display but holding out due to price, it looks very much like a heavy push by the MFG'ers for 1080p in the various forms (DLP, LCD, LCOS, Sony's LCOS variant : SXRD) and y'all know that means some nice price reduction on the 720P sets. Even 50" plasma sets (1366 x 768) at your local Costco are now becoming very price competitive to DLP sets ($2699). Here is great summary article on this years CEDIA with some nice pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home